Our original name was School Personnel Credit Union of South San Francisco. A group of far-sighted teachers who saw the need for and the benefits of a credit union founded the credit union for the employees of the South San Francisco Unified School District. In May1954, SPCU received a State Charter to operate as a credit union. At the first Annual Meeting held in 1955, there were 41 members of the Credit Union and no dividends were paid that year. The financial statement read $365.00 in share accounts with $174.00 in outstanding loans. From 1954 until 1957, the Credit Union operated from the home of the Treasurer, Al Zubler.
In 1957, it became a project of the Advanced Bookkeeping Class at the South San Francisco High School. In 1962, the office operation was moved to the South San Francisco Unified District Office.
At the 1966 Annual Meeting, the Membership approved the purchase of the first Credit Union owned facility - an office trailer located in the SSF High School parking lot. By 1976, the Credit Union operation had outgrown the small trailer and moved to the mobile building that was purchased and opened for business in January 1977.
During the 1980's, SPCU continued its growth pattern, adding two more mobile offices to the existing mobile building. Shares and loans were on an upward path and the Board authorized a merger with another school credit union located in Central San Mateo. SPCU was well on its way to becoming a strong presence in the South San Francisco Community.
The 1990's brought much change to SPCU. The Board of Directors and Management noticed a decline in the membership due to a lack of school personnel growth. Our membership was getting older with less borrowing needs. It was time to diversify the membership to ensure future success. Technology also played a major role. Members wanted convenience, accessibility, and flexibility in all credit union services. By 1995, the Board was well aware that these factors had to be addressed.
By October 1996, the Credit Union received approval from our membership, our regulator, and the Secretary of State to officially change our name to Sierra Point Credit Union. Through membership expansion requests, SPCU served all South San Francisco Chamber members, their employees and family members, and all students of schools within the field of membership along with all their family members. The current Credit Union facility had served the membership well, but was aging dramatically. It was time to move. A new location was found close to the existing site, plans drawn up, and a new 9,000 square foot facility was approved.
In September 1997, the state regulators approved a membership expansion for SPCU to serve all those who live and work and worship in South San Francisco. Sierra Point Credit Union is and always will be in the forefront of the South San Francisco Community, leading by example, and providing low cost, efficient services with a full array of loan products to meet the needs of the Community. Sierra Point Credit Union is your community Credit Union, where people mean more than money!
Apply for membership today!